Thursday, September 11, 2008

6x1 Thus Far

I figure talking about each thing we've done individually is the best way to express my likes and dislikes.

Scratching: I enjoy doing this. I tend to start to attempt to animate with my scratching. It's just what I drift toward naturally. I enjoy the freedom of the scratching. Essentially that I get to dismantle perfectly good film until I see fit. Really the only boundaries to this are what you limit yourself to. Anything can be a scratching tool. Just some things look better than others. I found that the sand paper was not to my liking, but a nail offered me precision more than the thumb tack. Though one perk I found of the thumb tack was being able to punch small holes in the film, another great technique for simple animations.

Animating: The animation portion of the project is the one I think about the most. The one that I plan the most. I find the precision of animation to be infatuating. I like that I create the motion. Not just random motion either. Motion that is calculated and timed. I've always been interested in this. Even in ninth grade biology. We were assigned to make a flip book of mitosis (cell reproduction) and I spent hours making the perfect motion. I view this as a big mitosis project.

Magazine Transfers: Easily my favorite thing we've done. This is so unique. Really I'm not sure how this was conceived, but I really enjoyed the process. Arranging the layers and seeing how things turn out on the screen was a lot of fun. Much like with the film scratching, I try to get very precise and start to animate. I have to constantly remind myself that this small strip will be on the screen for a fraction of a second. Still, knowing exactly what I put on my strip even when I see it for that split second is rewarding.

Inks & Oils: This is tough for me to enjoy because it lacks the precision of a pen or scratch. It seems aimless and I prefer to have greater control over my work. I'm sure there are ways to control the inks, but I haven't discovered them. Again, this is most certainly a personal preference. Maybe I will enjoy it once I begin to master it. Or maybe there is no mastering it and what I've experienced thus far is precisely what inks and oils are all about. Hopefully I can discover what it is that sets this form of filmmaking apart and make something I feel is unique and fulfilling.

Rayograms: I enjoyed doing this, but not quite as much as the magazine transfers. I thought it was involved for what we produced. Much like with the inks/oils, I'm confident that much can made from this technique. We just can't fully explore the depths of rayograms in a single week, on a 6 foot film strip. After doing it once though, I see little objects and think "That would make an interesting rayogram." Hopefully I can explore this technique a little more.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

Yes, those inks can be much harder to control, but this is where the masking tape can come in handy. As you mask of certain parts of the strip, you do have some control over where the ink goes and where it doesn't.

Nice breakdown of all your experiences.